Summer is a time for travel, vacations and kicking back. Maybe you're on a stay-cation and your plans revolve around the backyard, your pool or day trips.
Here are some ideas for refreshing your home for the summer months:
1. Change your pillows. Pillows on couches can easily be swapped out. Put away dark colored pillows and replace them with lighter colors and fabrics. If you don't want to buy new, invest in some new pillow covers. Pottery Barn and IKEA are good sources for covers.
2. Pick up area rugs and either leave your floors bare and or replace the rugs with a lighter sisal or natural woven rug. Home Depot, Lowes, Overstock.com and Pottery Barn are all good sources.
3. Put away heavy accessories and replace with lighter versions. For example, dark heavy candlesticks could be replaced by tall transparent glass vases or containers filled with shells or botanicals.
4. Take down your heavy drapes and valances and either replace with a lighter neutral color drape or leave just a sheer or blind by itself.
5. Take out all artificial florals and give them a good spray or dusting and put away. Replace with easy to care for live house plants such as ferns and orchids.
6. Replace winter bedding and comforters with a light quilt or blanket. If you have a pretty blanket, you can fold a quilt at the bottom of the bed for looks and warmth as needed.
7.Take down any wreaths or decor left over from the holidays!
8. Replace bath towels with white or neutral ones.
9. Find something unique like a painted firescreen, large live fern or antique mirror to put in place of your firescreen to hide the empty firebox.
10. Consider painting. Now is the time to take a good look at your paint colors and think about lightening up any rooms which are too dark. Summer is a great time to paint, open the windows and let the natural air and light in while you paint.
Hope you have fun finding all the different ways you can bring summer inside!